Council of Europe calls for promoting access to contraception
January 2020. A draft resolution calling for greater access to contraceptives, including emergency contraception, was adopted by the Equality Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) last December.
The resolution highlights the key role contraception plays for women’s empowerment, and calls on member and observer states to ensure access to contraception by ensuring, among others, the following measures (see section 9.2):
- provision in the public sector;
- inclusion in public health insurance schemes,
- subsidisation schemes for vulnerable groups, including youth
- counselling services that enable choice
- mandatory training for health care professionals
- development of evidence-based guidelines, based on WHO standards
Read more on the Committee’s website and download the report here.